Sunday, September 15, 2013

Suzanne Vega meets Disraeli Gears...

You thought the leaden winter would bring you down forever, 

I am sitting
In the morning
At the diner
On the corner

But you rode upon a steamer to the violence of the sun.

I am waiting
At the counter
For the man
To pour the coffee

And the colours of the sea bind your eyes with trembling mermaids,

And he fills it
Only halfway
And before
I even argue

And you touch the distant beaches with tales of brave Ulysses,

He is looking
Out the window
At somebody
Coming in

How his naked ears were tortured by the sirens sweetly singing,

"It is always
Nice to see you"
Says the man
Behind the counter

For the sparkling waves are calling you to kiss their white laced lips.

To the woman
Who has come in
She is shaking
Her umbrella

And you see a girl's brown body dancing through the turquoise,

And I look
The other way
As they are kissing
Their hellos

And her footprints make you follow where the sky loves the sea.

I'm pretending
Not to see them
And Instead
I pour the milk

And when your fingers find her, she drowns you in her body,

I open
Up the paper
There's a story
Of an actor

Carving deep blue ripples in the tissues of your mind.

Who had died
While he was drinking
He was no one
I had heard of

The tiny purple fishes run laughing through your fingers,

And I'm turning
To the horoscope
And looking
For the funnies

And you want to take her with you to the hard land of the winter.

When I'm feeling
Someone watching me
And so
I raise my head

Her name is Aphrodite and she rides a crimson shell,

There's a woman
On the outside
Looking inside
Does she see me?

And you know you cannot leave her for you touched the distant sands

No she does not
Really see me
Cause she sees
Her own reflection

With tales of brave Ulysses, how his naked ears were tortured

And I'm trying
Not to notice
That she's hitching
Up her skirt

By the sirens sweetly singing...

And while she's
Straightening her stockings
Her hair
Is getting wet

The tiny purple fishes run lauging through your fingers,

Oh, this rain
It will continue
Through the morning
As I'm listening

To the bells
Of the cathedral
I am thinking
Of your voice...

And you want to take her with you to the hard land of the winter. 

And of the midnight picnic
Once upon a time
Before the rain began...

I finish up my coffee
It's time to catch the train

No comments:

Post a Comment